Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This page may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended. There is never an additional cost to you.
I am often thoughtful of the saying “If you want to be a runner, run. If you want to be a weightlifter, then lift weights”. My version is. “If you want to be a Yogi, then practice Yoga”.
The amount of people that say to me “I want to try yoga, but never seem to actually get there”, is amazing. I’, thinking, hey, you just gotta do it man (women).
So, you’ve decided to enter into the world of Yoga. You purchase a cute yoga outfit, complete with mat and some accessories. Now you’re sitting on your mat for the first time only to discover that it’s incredibly uncomfortable and your bottom is now sore!
Never fear, you’re not the first and certainly won’t be the last person to make this mistake.
It’s easy to believe that every yoga mat and accessories will be perfect for us, but much like buying other products, sometimes they aren’t really what you expected when you actually receive them.
The reality is that we have to search for the right products, in this case, the right yoga mat. Even then, there maybe some experimentation before we find the mat that is just right for us.
Here at Yogamatsstore.com, we believe this is where we come in. With over 300 years combined experience between us, we think we know a decent yoga mat when we see one. We are here to answer your needs and your question-How thick should my yoga mat be?
Do You Need a Thick Yoga Mat?
Now this is a great question.
The thickness of the mat helps in two seperate ways during yoga.
Firstly, the mat needs enough cushion to support the weight of your body and still leave you feeling quite comfortable.
But it also needs to be rigid enough to support your balanced weight, so for example, if the mat was too thick, you would find yourself having trouble balancing.
Imagine a thin yoga mat and you’re balancing on your knees. But the yoga mat is too thin and now your knees hurt like hell. It’s kinda gonna put you off going again right?
So it’s vital you find the right thickness mat for your whole yoga experience!
Different Yoga Mat Thicknesses
Super Thin Yoga Mat
You probably wouldn’t think of buying a super-thin yoga mat, but there are a few reasons why you might want one.
- Easy to transport
- Lightweight so easy to carry
- Easy to fit into gym bag
- Easy to fold
- Easy to clean
They are usually about 1/16th (3mm) but of course, they don’t provide much support or cushioning, so we would only recommend these super thin yoga mats for yoga sessions where there isn’t too much straining or rigorous yoga poses.
Standard Yoga Mat Thickness
The Normal yoga mat thickness is around an eighth of an inch (4-6mm). The materials used are easy to find and quite lightweight. You’ll have a decent amount of protection from the hard floor and adequate cushioning. But this may well be insufficient for more strenuous yoga poses.
Medium Yoga Mat Thickness
Medium thickness yoga mats range from 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch, 6-8mm.
This foam based material will adequately cushion your bodies weight without being uncomfortable. For all round yoga sessions, these mats are usually very popular. Beginners usually start with this range of thickness and would be what we would recommend to the starter Yogi.
You will probably find it the right combination of just enough cushion to soften the hard floor. but thin enough to be easily portable.
Extra-thick Yoga Mat
The extra-thick yoga mat is what we would normally recommend to people starting yoga who have previous injuries, bad joints or are maybe overweight. The added cushioning is excellent for the joints allowing you to feel confident with those harder yoga poses. The extra thickness 1/4-1 inch (9-25mm), simply supports your body better, while still allowing you to balance easily!
The downside to having an extra-thick yoga mat is transportation. A thicker mat means an heavier and bulkier mat, which can cause problems if trying to transport to yoga session or trying to store the mat anywhere.
Probably best when you have a vehicle to transport the mat and somewhere to store it.
How Thick Should My Yoga Mat Be?
So before you buy a yoga mat, try to think about what type of yoga activity you plan to attend.
Beginners and intermediates should consider a medium-size yoga mat.
Overweight, injury prone and people with joints problems should try the extra-thick type.
On the other hand, if you are always on the go, young, fit and healhty, we recommend the super-thin or standard size yoga mat.
Really, it’s all down to personal preference. Some people not in the specific categories we mentioned may well be suited to mats from other size categories and so on. Just like choosing clothes, everyone is different and have different opinions. However, if we can guide you along the way, then our job is done.
Here are the best Yoga mats for each category
Best Super Thin Yoga Mat
Mat Features At A Glance:
- ULTIMATE GRIP-The Rubber Base ensures that your mat will stay in place and not slip during exercises
- OPTIMAL THICKNESS YOGA MAT–Being 0.11¨ thick it has the right balance between protection & stability
- HYGIENIC WORKOUT MAT–The smooth surface can be easily cleaned with water or soft cleaning products
- IDEAL BASE–To practice Bikram Yoga, Hatha Yoga, Power Yoga, Ashtanga Yoga or any Vinyasa Yoga style
- EYE CANDY–Gym Mat’s design is undoubtedly aesthetic and easy to match with any color of yoga gear
Best Standard Size Yoga Mat
Mat Features At A Glance:
- Intense Grip and Anti-slip: Polyurethane (PU) is well-known for its great non slippery properties, and has excellent performance while keeping your hands and feet from slipping on the mat even when “sweaty wet”. It keeps you super safe and always in place no matter what type of yoga you practice.
- Instructional Alignment lines: The alignment lines help you to focus and adjust your hands and feet to the accurate position, and keep body in proper alignment. These instructional markers are laser engraved, so it doesn’t contain any nasty ‘heavy metals’ such as lead and cadmium.
- Eco Friendly and Odorless: This Natural, Eco-friendly mat does not have that strong lingering odor like other mats have. It’s 100% recyclable, PVC-free, Non-Toxic, and free from ozone-depleting substances.
- Large Size & Light Weight: 72″(183cm) x 26″ (66cm) for more space you need for yoga practice; Thickness: 5mm; Weight: 3lb (Approx.). It also comes with a carry bag and Velcro strap, easy and convenient for studio classes and storage. We love adding value to you and your practice.
Best Medium/Thick Size Yoga Mat
- GREAT FOR YOGA MAT- MEDIATATION – STRETCHING MAT – AND LIGHT CARDIO FITNESS MAT – WITHOUT SHOES – Pogamat XL Yoga Mat Is The Most Comfortable Memory Foam Mat That You’ll Ever Use! We Wanted To Make Our Large Yoga Mats Available To Everyone Of All Sizes So We Made Them Extra Long And Extra Wide. For Cardio Workouts WITH Shoes. Click “POGAMAT” at the very top, to see our different sizes and styles of yoga mats & exercise mats (available in XL and XXL Sizes)
- THICK MEMORY FOAM – 7mm Thick. Pogamat Workout Mat Provides Comfort & Support So Your Body Stays Healthy And Injury Free
- PREMIUM TWO SIDED SURFACE – Designed For Yoga & Stretching Mat Without Shoes. TOP Of The Mat Consists Of A Soft Texture For Added Comfort And Grip. Extra Cushion To Protect Your Joints. The BOTTOM Is Composed Of A Large Honeycomb Groove Anti-Slip Pad For Grip And Comfort
- ECO FRIENDLY & NO ODOR – In Addition To Feeling Great On Your Body, Our Training Mat Is Made Of Non-Toxic Synthetic Materials. No Latex. No Silicone. Non flammable. Free From Phthalates And Toxin Free. Our Yoga Mats Are Produced Through Eco-Friendly Manufacturing Techniques
- LIFETIME WARRANTY – All POGAMAT Workout Mat and Exercise Mats Come With A Lifetime Warranty Against Manufacturers Defects In Materials And Craftmanship. We Stand Behind The Quality Of Our Products And Will Replace Your Mat For FREE
Best Extra Thick Sized Yoga Mat
Mat Features At A Glance:
- Extra thick for comfort: firm 1 inch extra thick fitness mat with mat strap alleviates stress on sensitive areas like joints, hips, hands and Knees, thus making it easier to complete your exercises
- Non slip for safety: non slip exercise mat keeps you steady while the thick yoga mats stay in place against the floor, allowing you to focus on your movements and poses, and also preventing injury
- Durability: the thickness of the workout mats allows them to endure everyday Use, regardless of the intensity of your exercises. They are the perfect exercise mats for home
- BPA free: our products are free of Phthalate, heavy metals and latex. Keep in mind that your exercise mat might initially give off a harmless odor. If so, unroll your mat and air it for a Day or two
- Easy to clean: if you’re exercising, you’re probably sweating so you’re probably covering your mat in bacteria. Keep your mat clean and smell-free with soap and water and then hang it out to dry